Rosa Whole-Fruit Rosehip Oil
Our full-size Rosa is inbound and will ship the week of 04/19.
As our product range grows, we want to offer exciting options for many needs and sensibilities. We offer lushly scented products and unscented products; complex formulas with many ingredients, and simple formulas with very few ingredients. Still, it felt like a bold move to offer a product with just one ingredient (not counting the minute amounts of antioxidants): rosehip oil. What is unique about high-quality whole-fruit rosehip oil as compared to many other single carrier oils is that it delivers noticeable results and benefits most skin types.
We hope you will appreciate Rosa the way some of us savor and enjoy single-origin chocolate or a single-estate Cabernet. In its purest form, a single ingredient can speak distinctly and inspire, allowing us to focus on its complexity, be it wine, chocolate, coffee, or a highly concentrated and ultra-effective oil.
It took us five years to find the rosehip oil we fell in love with. In case you are not aware of the different types: most rosehip oils for facial care are rosehip-seed-only extractions, or rosehip-seed extractions with just a small fraction of whole-fruit or fruit pulp extractives added in. One reason for this is that seed-only or mostly-seed oils have a longer shelf life; additionally, they are barely colored (if at all), which means they are conveniently nonstaining. However, it is only the whole-fruit extraction (made from the seeds, fruit pulp, and fruit skin) that is holistic, balanced, and fullest in its range of nutrients.
The prevalent method of extraction for most rosehip oil on the market is supercritical extraction, also known as CO2 extraction. While this method is excellent for many botanicals, we have found that we overwhelmingly prefer cold-pressing of fruits and seeds for carrier oils whenever possible, because the cold-pressing method renders an oil with higher energy vibrations. Even if you don't believe in vibrations, if you experience a rosehip oil pressed with CO2 vs one that has been cold-pressed, you will very likely find the cold-pressed variety fresher and the CO2 extraction somehow flatter.
Our rosehip oil is certified organic, whole-fruit, cold-press, unrefined, and only lightly filtered. It is also undeodorized, unwinterized, and not lab-modified to appear standardized in a level of a particular nutrient. Our oil presser usually produces fresh oils to order, oftentimes pressing every two weeks—as opposed once or twice a year, which is the industry standard. And we store the rosehip oil, the product batches, and the filled bottles under refrigeration. The only additions to our rosehip oil are food-grade, non-GMO-certified sunflower vitamin E and food-grade rosemary extract, which help to extend the freshness of this fragile oil.
Massage a few drops at a time onto freshly cleaned, still-moist face. Rubbing in with fingertips, creating outward, upward circles will stimulate circulation and enhance absorption. Alternately, mix 2 to 4 drops with a few pumps of an aloe-based serum or your moisturizer. You may also add 2 to 4 drops of Rosa to a single-use amount of face mask, or use Rosa alone as an oil mask (apply onto freshly cleansed, towel-dried skin, leave on for 30 minutes, and wipe off or wash off).
NOTE: Rosa is bold orange and can be staining until it is absorbed, so use it sparingly and be careful around your furniture, bedding, and clothing.
Rosehips are classified as astringent and cooling in Western herbalism, which points to their wrinkle-reducing and redness-calming properties. The fruit pulp and skin are high in carotenoids (such as beta-carotene and lycopene), which are powerful antioxidants and are also photo-protective (that is, they have been found to protect the skin from photo-damage from sun exposure). Our whole-fruit rosehip oil feels creamy and nonoily, more like an extract-oil than an oil, which makes it appealing to use even on a hot and humid summer day. It benefits the following skin types and concerns:
- Acne: Many skincare users find their acne tendencies diminish considerably with consistent use of whole-fruit rosehip oil. We attribute this to the high content of beta-carotene that the body converts to vitamin A.
- Sensitive or sensitized skin: Many sensitive skin types thrive on simpler products that have only a few fresh, minimally processed ingredients, and on products that are free of essential oils. With Rosa, sensitive skins can enjoy a product that is simple, but still luxurious, and that delivers results.
- Wrinkles: Rosehip oil has traditionally been used in Western herbalism for mature skin concerns, especially wrinkles. It can be an awe-producing experience to see deep wrinkles diminish with the consistent use of highest-grade rosehip oil.
- Hyperpigmentation: Rosa helps with hyperpigmentation that is linked to acne congestion and acne scars.
- Scars: We recommend using Rosa on scars from recent acne breakouts, and even on older scars, to help regenerate healthy skin tissue.
- Rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema: These stubborn skin conditions often improve with rosehip oil—especially when it is made from the whole fruit—with skin becoming less likely to flare up and less prone to redness. These conditions do not improve nearly as much with the use of rosehip oil made from seeds only.
- Mature skin: Rosa promotes a brighter, glowy, even-toned, more youthful skin appearance.
Rosa is our only face oil that is free of essential oils. Choose it over our other face oils if you are avoiding essential oils or if your skin is very sensitive. Also choose Rosa over our other face oils if you already have many face oils on hand and would like to incorporate Rosa as an antioxidant booster for your routine—which is especially recommended for skin prone to eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
Our Rosa is a somewhat cloudy, intensely orange oil that is very light, fast-absorbing, and still fragrant with the scent of rosehips and a touch of spice.
All skin types, especially sensitive, acne-prone, and mature. Noncomedogenic. Nonphotosensitizing.
Rosa canina (rosehip) fruit oil*, tocopherol (vit. E, from non-GMO sunflowers), Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract.
Certified cruelty free, vegan, handcrafted, small batch. Gluten free.
For external use only.
Full size: 30 ml
Travel size: 5 ml
Freshness guaranteed for 6 months